Nicknamed “the Glen” by motorsports fans, Watkins Glen has been known as the Mecca for North American road racing since the actual road course was built in 1956. Previous to the circuit’s construction, drivers raced on the public roads surrounding the serene village on the southern tip of Seneca Lake in New York State. Since then Watkins Glen has been host to every notable form of road racing, including having been the 20-year home of the United States Grand Prix. The “Six Hours at the Glen” has been a staple of road racing in many iterations and NASCAR has included it as one of its road racing venues. Over the years, track renovations have changed the original 2.35-mile loop designed by Bill Milliken. “The Boot” was added in 1971 bringing the long course length closer to its present 3.40 miles. In 1992 the Inner Loop chicane was added to slow drivers for the approach to the Outer Loop. In 2015 the Glen saw a complete repaving, with the surface brought down to the original road dirt in some places. As much a slice of Americana as a great place to go fast, Watkins Glen is a classic home of motorsport for a reason.