Forza Week in Review 7-27-18
Today in the Week in Review, we’re recapping the Forza Horizon 4 “Winter” livestream from Playground Games, getting ready for Games WIth Gold in August, and more. But we’ll start today’s story off with an important message from Turn 10's studio manager Alan Hartman. Yesterday, we posted Alan’s Forza Summer Update here on FM.net and, in addition to recapping an already busy 2018 for Forza, Alan shared some important news for Forza Motorsport 7. Namely, based on our ongoing conversation with the community, we have decided to remove Prize Crates from the game.
Removing the Prize Crates feature is no small undertaking and we expect to have it complete this winter. Our goal is to remove crates while still allowing players to have access to the items they want, including cars, Driver Gear, and Mod Cards. We’ve seen a lot of questions about how this new system will work and you can be sure we’ll be showing it off once the time is right. One other related bit of news: In the post, Alan stated that tokens would not be part of Forza Motorsport 7 or Forza Horizon 4 going forward. If you missed the post in its entirety check it out here on FM.net.
Seasons Change Everything | Winter
Winter is coming, so the saying goes. In the world of Forza Horizon 4, winter came and went thanks to the latest episode of Playground Games’ “Season Change Everything” livestream series where we've been showing off all four seasons in Forza Horizon 4. In this week’s episode, which aired on Tuesday, the fine folks at Playground took viewers through a winter wonderland of ice, snow, and really fast driving. If you missed the livestream, you can watch it for yourself right here:
Some highlights from the hour-long show:
- - Wintertime in the UK of Forza Horizon 4 isn’t a one-size fits all season. Depending on where you are on the map, weather conditions, including snow level, the amount of ice, and more. will vary. For example, head up to the higher elevations of the Scottish Highlands and you’re bound to see more snow than if you’re cruising around in the lower areas of the map.
- - Related, even in winter, there will be locations that don’t have snow. This was an intentional choice, according to Playground’s Ralph Fulton, who said the team realized that snow on every road in the game would be disappointing for those who want to hop in a supercar and hoon around without having to worry about the weather conditions on the road.
- - Just as in the real world, trees lose their leaves in winter in Forza Horizon 4 and the environmental artists at Playground had a great time creating these skeletal-looking trees (which, they say, are more difficult to make than you might think!)
- - Seasons change at the same time for everyone globally. Those playing the game during this transition will first see a countdown clock, ticking down to the change, then see a brief cinematic showing the season change before being deposited back in the world with the new season.
- - The map! We showed off the wintered-out version of the FH4 map, which you can see for yourself on the stream or in this Tweet.
- - Car Mastery – Every vehicle in Forza Horizon 4 now has a skill tree where you can unlock specific car bonuses. You earn points by performing skills in the game, then spend those points to unlock Car Mastery skills per vehicle.
- - Car Mastery skills can increase the amount of influence you earn in a race, increase the number of collisions it takes to break a skill chain while driving, and more. Best of all, a vehicle’s skill tree is based on the kind of car and what it’s meant to do.
- - #Forzathons have changed in Forza Horizon 4. Now there’s a #Forzathon Shop where you can spend #Forzathon points you earn from daily and weekly challenges on things like character customization items, legendary car horns, Forza Edition cars, and more.
In addition to all that, the show gave fans a peek into the Forza Horizon 4 user interface, as well as a sneak peek at some of the trickier bonus board locations in the world. Don’t miss the fourth and final edition of “Seasons Change Everything” this coming Tuesday with a look at the fourth and final season: Spring! In addition to some good and muddy spring showers, look for the team to show off the city of Edinburgh for the first time, as well as a look at Team Racing features, and more.
Forza Horizon 2 -- Games with Gold
If you’re an Xbox Live Gold member and you haven’t yet enjoyed the charms of southern Europe in Forza Horizon 2, then starting next month you’ve got no more excuses. Forza Horizon 2 will be one of four games available at no extra charge as part of Xbox Games With Gold in August. The game will be available all month long, and Games With Gold is a great chance to experience this modern open-world racing classic, just ahead of the release of Forza Horizon 4. Don’t miss it!
Porsche 911 GT3 RS Challenge
As you probably know the 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS was one of two Spotlight cars featured in July. Now, Porsche and ESL are teaming up for the Porsche 911 GT3 RS Challenge, offering an incredible ultimate prize for Porsche fans: participation in the Porsche Master Cup Training in Barcelona, Spain. In between, the top four qualifiers will take part in real life training at the Hungaroring, home of the Hungarian Grand Prix. Before we get there, however, the qualifying in Forza Motorsport 7 begins. Starting on July 29 through August 7, players will compete in a special Rivals event in Forza Motorsport 7 to move onto the next stage, then eventually on to Gamescom to compete in the Gamescom Finals.
Note that the Porsche 911 GT3 RS Challenge is only available to players in select regions – for full rules and tournament structure, check out the Porsche 911 GT3 RS Challenge page on the ESL Web site.
Barwell Motorsport Livery Winner
Huge congratulations go out to Forza community painter PTG Wildcat, who recently won the livery competition held by UK racing team Barwell Motorsport. Wildcat’s gorgeous winning design featured a 70th Edition of Spa 24 Hours theme and is running on the Barwell Lamborghini Huracán GT3 at the race. Wildcat’s winning design was chosen from more than 50 competitors. To see the car in action, make sure you follow Barwell Motorsport on Twitter. Congratulations Wildcat!
Forza Horizon 3 – Drift to Success
Check out the details on this week’s #Forzathon lineup of events in Forza Horizon 3:
Forza Motorsport 7 #Forzathons
The new #Forzathon events are live in Forza Motorsport 7, here’s a look at the events and the rewards on the line:
Thanks for joining us here in the Week in Review – see you next week!