Forza Motorsport 4: Week in Review 3/02/12
So how about that Ford Country Squire? It’s undoubtedly my favorite car in the just-announced March Pirelli Car Pack. Oh sure, the thing’s a boat and its 3-speed tops out at around 130 mph on the Mulsanne Straight, nowhere near the fang-bearing speedster like the Ultimate GTR (pictured below) in terms of performance. But who cares? There are more reasons to love a car than its raw power. So why do I love the Country Squire? Well, for one, it’s got unmatched swagger. From the wood panels on the side to that distinctive silver horse head badge, the Country Squire lives up to its stylish moniker. In some ways, the Squire takes me back to my childhood too. I wasn’t alive in 1966 when the Forza version of the Country Squire was released, but my family owned its share of land yachts over the years and the Country Squire puts me right in that nostalgic mindset. Funny that in a game where speed counts for so much, I can fall so hard for a car where speed is far from top of mind.
Of course, the March Pirelli Car Pack is full of eclectic rides. From the cutting-edge beauty of the 2011 Aston Martin V12 Zagato (Villa d’Este) to the unique stylings of the 1969 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, there will be plenty of opportunities to fall in love with a car when the pack is released on Tuesday.
One other car of special note: the 1971 Ferrari #2 Ferrari Automobili 312 P, a race-bred rocket pack of a car and one that was driven by the likes of Mario Andretti and Jacky Ickx. As we were writing the description for the car this month, our car research team pointed pointed out an incredible documentary that I had never heard of: “Speed Merchants”. Regarded as one of the top classic motorsport documentaries of all time, the film follows the 1972 World Sports Car Championship and is narrated by Mario Andretti himself. The 312 P is a prominent player in the film and, as our car researcher put it, “It’s pretty much impossible to watch that film and not feel closer to the 312 P.”
So, do yourself a favor and take a look at the documentary for yourself. It's available in its entirety on YouTube. Check out Part One here:
Now, on to the rest of the Week in Review!
Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel Feature
Earlier this week, our community writer John Schommer posted a great feature on the Forza Motorsport CSR Elite Wheel from Fanatec. During his first few weeks on the Turn 10 team, John’s spent a good deal of time with the CSR ahead of writing this feature, with the goal of giving you a feel for what this fine piece of virtual driving machinery is all about. Take a look at the article and, if you’ve got a CSR Elite of your own, we’d love to hear what you think of it, either in the Forza Motorsport forums or on our official Facebook page.
King of the Track February
Our February King of the Track Rivals Mode contest wrapped up this week so it’s time to say goodbye to Rampage Jackson and congratulate everyone who took part in the event. We’ll be notifying the overall winner soon, and sending out the gift cars to those who took part as well as to those who beat Rampage’s time in the event. Keep checking your inbox and follow our official Twitter feed for updates when the car is sent out.
For those who are curious, we will have a King of the Track event in March and we are currently in the final stages of locking the details down. If all works out, we’ll have the new event set up and an announcement story next week, so stay tuned.
This week's forum photo contest first place winner I Is Are Ninja.
Rivals Mode Descriptions
Our March King of the Track event will be just one of the new Rivals Mode events going live next week. Our regular crop of Rivals Mode updates will hit the Forza 4 servers on Tuesday, March 6, the same day we launch the March Pirelli Car Pack. Here’s the list of new events for March:
- Secret, Secret I’ve Got a Secret -- But there are no secrets under the skin of the Aston Martin V12 Zagato. The car’s 510 horses under the hood are impossible to hide as it roars around Catalunya GP. Each week, 100 randomly chosen players from this leaderboard will receive a 2002 BMW M3-GTR, a “unicorn car” only available from Turn 10. The March Pirelli Car Pack is required to participate in this event.
- Ready Set Gecko -- Don't let the classic contoured body lines of the 2011 Wiesmann GT MF5 fool you. Under the hood of this gentleman's sportscar is a powerful engine and a road hugging suspension that will "stick to the road like geckos stick to the wall". In this Rivals Mode event, download the 2011 Wiesmann GT MF5 for free from the March Pirelli Car Pack and unleash this animal on the Nürburgring GP track.
- Sachs Kurve Drift -- German drift cars take on the turns of Hockenheimring, will you be able to hold that slide through Sachs Kurve? Tuning setups are allowed within restrictions.
- The Regatta -- Many of these cars can be affectionately referred to as a "Boat" because of their sheer size. Test your 'land yacht' navigation skills in this drag racing challenge on the Sedona 1/2 Mile and follow the Turn 10 Twitter in March for a special competition around this Rivals event at our official Twitter feed.
- Among Giants -- Discover how quickly and precisely you can weave your small roadster around these two-ton behemoths as you traverse though the tight confines of the Ladera Test Track. Tuning setups are allowed within restrictions.
- March VIP Rivals Mode Event -- This Rivals event is open to Forza VIPs only. The car, track and competition type were chosen by a series of polls conducted on Facebook. Participants will be driving the Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera, on “The Ring”. Be sure to cast your vote on Facebook throughout the month of March for the next VIP Rivals event by going to the official Forza Motorsport Facebook page.
TrackTimeAudio’s Forza 4 Q&A
This week, the automotive audio blog TrackTimeAudio posted an interview with Turn 10’s Audio Creative Director Nick Wiswell. In the interview, Nick talks about his history with the studio as well as the technology and techniques that went into the audio of Forza Motorsport 4. If you’re curious about how our incredible audio team brought your favorite cars and tracks to life in Forza 4, you don’t want to miss this interview.
This week's forum photo contest second place winner Striker2.
Formula Drift Design Winner
Congratulations to Forza community member DIS ROTARY whose design has been chosen to be featured on Formula Drift driver Ryan Kado’s 2005 Nissan 350Z during the 2012 Formula Drift season! Kado, who held a forum thread livery contest, will be unveiling his liveried car at the NOS Energy Drink booth at the Sonoma Drift season opener on March 7. If anyone is at the event, we’d love to see pictures of Ryan’s new-look ride, so hit us up at email@example.com if you’ve got pics!
Speaking of drifting, here’s a video that’s been making the rounds at Turn 10 this week : A bunch of dudes hooning it up on modified trikes. Think of it as Formula D for Big Wheels and you’ll have an idea of what it’s all about. Take a look:
The new American Le Mans Series Web site has launched with a new look and a big emphasis on video. The new ALMS TV feature will showcase five channels of video exclusive to the American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón. In addition to top five lists and special features, there’s a channel dedicated to race previews, including an episode highlighting the upcoming 60th Anniversary Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.
There’s also a great ALMS 101 feature, designed to introduce new fans to the ins and outs of the American Le Mans Series cars, teams, and rules. In all, it’s a great redesigned look for the site ahead of the ALMS's 2012 season launch.
This week's forum photo contest third place winner benomist.
Finally this week, if you haven’t yet picked up a Forza 4 T-Shirt from our friends at Level Up Wear, now would be a good time to jump in, as they’re on sale for a limited time. Head on over to the Level Up Wear site and take a look for yourself.
Have a great weekend everyone!