Forza Motorsport 4: Week in Review 10/28
Just because Forza Motorsport 4 is available everywhere doesn’t mean that the folks here at Turn 10 are sitting on our hands. Far from it! In fact, we’re elbows-deep in creating awesome DLC for Forza 4 fans, including the upcoming November Speed Pack! Announced yesterday, the November Speed Pack is heading to Xbox LIVE on November 1 and will contain ten sweet new cars to add to your Forza 4 garage. This car collection is as eclectic as it comes, featuring everything from a classic hot rod (the ’57 Chevy Bel Air) to state-of-the-art Italian muscle (the Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4) and plenty of makes and models in between. Check out the trailer for our November Speed Pack right here:
As we mentioned in our announcement story, with the release of the November Speed Pack next week, we’ll be launching a dedicated Rivals Mode event featuring a Hot Lap challenge in the Aventador on the Mugello Circuit. We’ll be giving out unicorns each week to random players who set a leaderboard time on this event so get ready for that. And also be ready for a brand new crop of Rivals Mode events coming to the Community Monthly channel of Rivals Mode. Here’s a quick breakdown of the new Rivals Mode events we’ll have in place starting November 4:
- Conquering The Bull – Battle your rival at the limits of speed in the brand new 2012 Lamborghini Aventador. Each week 100 randomly chosen players from this leaderboard will receive a 2002 BMW M3-GTR, a “unicorn car” only available from Turn 10. The November Speed Pack is required to participate in this event.
- Mastering Motegi Track Day – The two-fold challenge of Track Day events is to defeat your rival while weaving your way through heavy traffic. Master the traffic on Twin Ring Motegi while trying to take down your rival’s time in A-Class Japanese cars. Upgrades and tuning are allowed.
- European Sedan Quarter Mile – Step up to the line on Hockenheim Ring’s quarter-mile drag strip in your best European sedan to take down your rival. This event is open to any European sedans under 500 HP. Upgrades and tuning are allowed.
- The Sliding Pony – Drift past your rival’s score in your favorite Ford Mustang at the Benchmark Test Track. Tuning setups are allowed within restrictions. Installation of the Launch Track Pack is required to participate in this event.
- Barcelona Battle – Since 1991, Circuit de Catalunya has produced many memorable moments in motorsports. Here’s your chance to create one more in the R3 race car of your choice as you try to take down your rival’s lap time.
- Qualifications Championnat de France -- Qualifications for the French Forza 4 Official Championship. This one-week event is only for French spoken community, register at www.forzamotorsport.fr.
Community Calendar – Now With More Community!
Last week, we opened up the FM.net community calendar to entries from the Forza community and the results have been awesome. We picked a handful of our favorite events for inclusion in the calendar. Some highlights:
- Lotus Evora Cup – A spec-series with stock tunes and builds run by The RWS. Visit the official thread for full race schedule.
- Forza Sports Car Series – Well into its sixth season, all levels of drivers are accepted and clean driving is expected. See the official thread for more.
Want to have your event featured in the Community Calendar? Go to this thread and let us know all about your event. Here’s what we need:
- Title – The name of your event
- Description – A brief (3-4 sentences, max) describing your contest. Longer entries will not be accepted.
- Start/End Date – The start and end date of your event.
- Prizes –What prizes are you offering to the winners?
You should also have a dedicated thread in the FM.net forums for your event so we can point people to it. If we pick your event for inclusion on the community calendar you’ll earn a unicorn car, so get out there and organize some fun for your fellow Forza fans.
Photo by DJSpeed666x
Pre-Order Incentive Cars
A quick update on the Pre-Order Incentive Cars: Last week I mentioned that we sent out Pre-Order Incentive cars to everyone who took part in our Pre-Order Incentive Program. It’s come to our attention that a number of folks have not received their cars and we are now looking at our distribution to see how we can get the cars to those who haven’t received theirs yet. I’ll keep you updated on our progress so, if you haven’t received your car yet, be patient and we’ll do our best to get you the cars as quickly as we can.
Of all the things that are happening in the Forza Motorsport community these days, one of my favorites is our Official Photomode Contests. As I explained last week, we moved photo contests to Facebook and the results have been astounding, both in terms of quality and in terms of sheer numbers. In the Forza 3 days, our previous high for photo submissions for a contest was somewhere in the high hundreds. For the photo contests we’ve run for Forza 4 in the handful of weeks the game has been released, we’re talking thousands of entries per week.
The result is a ton of great pictures and a lot of work for Fred, Jube, and me to pick between all the incredible entries. You can see this week’s winners embedded in today’s story here—and it was a tough choice indeed. You guys are just that good.
We do want to thank those of you who enter our photo contests so, starting with our current photo contest, we’ll be awarding a random number of unicorns to players who post photos on our official Facebook page. There, you’ll also find instructions on how to post a picture to our Facebook wall. This week’s photo contest is “Indy Spirit”. Take your best photo on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and send it our way for a chance to win!
Photo by JPGunny101
It’s Forza… Time
We had an interesting e-mail debate going on in the office this week. With the rise of multi-functional cell phones, are watches (you know, those things you wear on your wrist to tell time) relevant anymore? Or are they just a flimsy excuse for guys to wear something akin to jewelry? Me, I’m firmly in the pro-watch camp—metal strap, round-face only. Sorry, leather-strap, rectangle-face fans, a guy’s gotta have standards.
Anyway, all of this is to say that Level Up Wear — the same folks that are selling our awesome Forza Motorsport 4 T-Shirts — have now started accepting pre-orders for a limited edition Forza Motorsport 4 watch. Only 500 of these will be made and they will run you a cool $170 USD. These watches are sweet indeed: Metal strap, round face, Forza 4 logo… it’s like they’re reading my mind!
Community Credits Bump
Did you know that you receive a bonus for visiting the Forza Motorsport 4 in-game Community page every day? If you haven’t visited in a while, you will definitely want to log in this week, as we’ll be temporarily bumping the credit bonus players will receive each day. Looking for some goodies on the storefront or saving up for that special car to add to your collection? Drop by the Community Page; there’s literally no easier way to earn credits in Forza 4.
Popular Mechanics: Real vs. Forza 4?
Check out Popular Mechanics Web site for a very cool article comparing a handful of high-performance cars in Forza 4 to their real-life counterparts. In this in-depth discussion of how cars like the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, the Cadillac CTS-V, the VW Golf GTI, and the Lexus CT 200h stack up against the real thing, writer John Brandon calls out a number of intricate details that shows the lengths the developers and artists here at Turn 10 go to recreating the incredible car roster. A choice quote on the SLS AMG:
"Just as in the real car, the digital SLS's spoiler pops up at 72 mph and retracts automatically at 50 mph. The Forza 4 team nailed the redline on the SLS at 7200 rpm, exactly what it should be. And the first yellow and red dots appear in the dash to warn the driver about redlining at around 3000 rpm.
Overall, the handling felt realistic. [Forza 4 Content director John] Wendl says several factors contribute to a sense of authenticity, including the 563 horsepower, 479 lb-ft of torque, the physics of the car, it's shape, and even the tires.
My opinion: It's spot on."
Photo by Bushido Haku
Vixen’s Halloween Bash
Before I go, I’ll leave you with a truly frightening (in a good way) event that made it onto our Community Calendar: Little Vixen’s Annual Halloween Bash. It’s become a tradition around these parts (this is the fourth annual version) and it’s essentially an automotive Halloween party. The idea here is to go “trick or treating” on the Forza 4 storefront, where folks will be giving away items from their storefront for free. Tunes, paints and vinyls are all welcome.
If you want to get involved on the fun, sign up in the thread above. List what car you are painting/tuning and the Xbox LIVE Gamertag for your storefront in the thread. Put your items up for free (0 credits) on the storefront during the Halloween weekend (Oct. 29-31). Enjoy!
I know I’ll be trolling the forums and the storefront looking for goodies this weekend. See you all next week!