Forza Motorsport 4: What The Critics Are Saying
At the stroke of midnight today, the review embargo for Forza Motorsport 4 lifted and we’re now seeing the first wave of critical reaction to the game. The response has been… well, let’s just say overwhelming. That’s probably the right word for it. Being so close to the development of a game this huge, it’s easy to forget that you’re only seeing things from one perspective. While we’ve always believed that the work we have been doing on Forza 4 would appeal to a huge variety of folks, it’s immensely gratifying to see those beliefs confirmed by the wider world.
So while more reviews will surely be arriving in the days leading up to the game’s release next week, here’s a sampling of some of the critical reception that Forza Motorsport 4 is enjoying so far:
- “Turn 10 already had a fantastic racer with Forza 3, but they somehow managed to add more even features and polish to this sequel, and the end result is a game that seems to have covered every base perfectly. They've also managed to add something else that you'll never see as a bulletpoint on a box: personality. Forza 4 is so much more lively, and it shows so much more character than its predecessor. The game practically shines with signature touches that show that the developers truly loved making it. I'm sure that's probably why I love playing it so much. I'm sure you will, too. And again, Forza Motorsport 4 is the king of racers.” – Destructoid 10/10]
- “Like the step up from FIFA 11 to FIFA 12, there's no going back to Forza 3 now. The changes and updates are too welcome and widespread. The improved visuals, the added cars on track, the wealth of new race types, the tweaked AI and closer racing, the ferocious sound and superior sense of speed, the even better livery editor, the lot. With Forza 4 Turn 10 has crafted a driving game like no other; it's hands-down this generation's premier racing simulator.” – IGN 9.5/10
- “The very metal of your driving mettle will be tried, tested and forced to endure grueling and demanding challenges, and you'll love every minute of it.” – Joystiq 4.5/5
- “Racing games have always strived to strike that balance between being a virtual showroom for car lovers (see the well-done and informative Autovista mode for that) and actually being fun, compelling experiences. Forza 4 successfully bridges this gap and is the racer you’ve been waiting for.” – Game Informer 9.25/10
- “It's ultimately however just one small part of a package that's grown broader, deeper and has done much more besides. The series' steely heart has softened, revealing a game that's as exhaustive as it is exhilarating and that's now been infused with a little extra passion. Forza has always been a series to admire, but now it's a little easier to fall in love with it too.” – Eurogamer 9/10
- “What Turn 10 Studios has created here is without a doubt the best racing game available today. With stunning car models, a realistic physics and lighting engine, Forza 4 is now the benchmark for racing games.” – Tech AU
- “Forza Mortorsport 4 is the culmination of the three predecessors before it, with added features and a level of polish that seems unreachable by any other studio other than Turn 10. This is a driving sim brilliance personified. Not only is it the best driving game ever made, it’s a contender for Game of the Year.” – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette 9.75/10
- “Car guys will be happy to know that Forza 4 is the most realistic console racing game ever. Non car-guys will love the Top Gear content and the ease with which you can join races and play your friends. I'm happy in knowing that a good chunk of those non car-guys will likely find themselves becoming car guys because if Forza 4 can't create a new generation of gearheads, I don't know what game will.” – Jalopnik
And, folks, this is just the beginning of the reviews. Look for more highlights in tomorrow’s Week in Review. See you then!