Forza Motorsport Week in Review 11-30-12
Hey everyone, Brian here. I’m back, rested, and relaxed from a two-week vacation from the Forza universe. Well, to be precise, it wasn’t much of a “vacation” – it was two weeks of paternity leave used to take care of my son after my wife returned to work. As a result, because of Daddy duties, there wasn’t much in the way of “resting” or “relaxing.” On the other hand, however, there was an awful lot of driving. You see, like most infants, my son loves to sleep in the car, namely a moving car. This meant that, over the last two weeks, I spent a tremendous amount of time in my car driving and driving (and driving)—often with no particular destination in mind—while Mechberg 2.0 slept peacefully…. most of the time.
So, it’s with hundreds of miles logged on the odometer and with a few extra bags under my eyes that I return to the Forza community and, let me tell you, I’m glad to be back! After all, we’re only four weeks (or so) away from the end of the year and things are running at top speed in the world of Forza. So let’s kick off the Week in Review and get you caught up with all the latest.
December IGN Pack
This week, we lifted the veil on the latest car pack for Forza Horizon – the December IGN Car Pack! Befitting the name, our friends over at IGN had the scoop and gave the pack a cool mention on their video show The Daily Fix:
In addition 500 IGN Prime members got free download codes for the December IGN Car Pack for Horizon via this page. If you missed it, check out the trailer for the pack:
As for the pack itself, the big news is that, instead of the normal six cars per pack, the December Pack has got seven. The bonus car, of course, is the 2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Halo Edition, complete with a UNSC livery dreamt up by our friends over at 343 Industries, creators of Halo 4!
[And speaking of Halo, if you want to get your hands on the a custom Scion FR-S, complete with a Halo livery dreamed up by the Forza community team, head over to the latest edition of The Halo Bulletin to find out how. This car was previously only available to Forza Horizon VIPs!]
If you aren’t dominating Cat & Mouse in your UNSC Raptor, you’ll be able to enjoy six additional cars in the December pack, including the 2008 Aston Martin DBS (that would be the car driven by Daniel Craig’s James Bond in Casino Royale), the 2012 Ferrari F12berlinetta (Ferrari’s fastest road car ever), the 2006 Ford GTX1 (think of an open-top hypercar inspired by the classic racer with some extreme design flourishes), the 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha Open Top (it’s a Hummer convertible, son!), the 1971 AMC Javelin-AMX (American Muscle… just more Muscle-y) and the 1993 McLaren F1 (do we need to even explain this one?).
All that automotive awesomeness is coming your way for just 400 MS Points. Look for the December IGN Car Pack on Tuesday, December 4, as well as a new batch of Rivals events in Horizon. Stay tuned for a sneak peek at the new Horizon Rivals events coming in Monday’s edition of Rear View Mirror!
Forza Horizon photo mission winner from iHomie OG
Find Big Air Score Unicorns!
Did you see the Halo Raptor flying over the barn in the December IGN Car Pack video? It was a moment so awesome that it inspired a contest. On Monday Johniwanna will reveal a contest in Rear View Mirror asking you to find the best jumps in Forza Horizon’s Colorado. Winners will receive a Forza Horizon unicorn and be featured in his upcoming story, Forza Horizon’s Greatest Hits.
John will give the details on Monday but it’s pretty simple. Find the best places in Forza Horizon to catch huge air, write up some directions from the Race Central area, and take a photo of the spot. Submit your entries in the Rear View Mirror thread beginning Monday. Good luck and good air!
Forza Motorsport 4 Rivals
On Saturday, we’ll be updating the Forza Motorsport 4 Community Monthly channel of Rivals Mode with a new set of events, including four new events that will kick off our December Bondurant Challenge series. Here’s the lowdown on all the events you’ll be able to play starting tomorrow:
· Special Delivery -- What vehicle most perfectly captures the irreverent spirit of TopGear? It has to be the 2011 Ford Transit SuperSportVan, whose flanks are more suitable for artwork than aerodynamics, and whose attitude is thoroughly tongue-in-cheek. While the spirit of the event is light, competition should be heavy – this is no featherweight vehicle, and the TopGear Test Track has tricky elements.
· Motorsports Reunion -- To celebrate the remarkable career and legacy of Bob Bondurant, who was one of Carroll Shelby’s early drivers, we’ve cooked up a proper tribute. After Bob tamed the wild 289 Cobra, he found a seat in the even more outrageous Daytona Coupe, helping Shelby secure the FIA title in 1965. Take a spin in the Daytona Coupe at Laguna Seca, site of many classic motorsport events that Bob has been a part of. This event is part of the December Bondurant Challenge.
· C Class U Later -- The smoke parts to reveal two huge bruisers lining up at the Christmas tree. This is C Class U Later, where heavyweight vehicles go head-to-head in oversized competition. This event is part of the December Bondurant Challenge.
· We Benz Drifting -- Who says that German cars can’t hang with their Pacific counterparts in the drift arena? In the world of Forza Motorsport, anything is possible. Take to Nürburgring Grand Prix short to hang your Rückseite out. This event is part of the December Bondurant Challenge.
· Artful Dodger -- The pun might be weak but the challenge will be strong. This all-pentastar affair takes place on the sunbaked tarmac of Sunset Peninsula Raceway, and you’ll need to pick a Dodge that’s not only newer than 1990, but is also light on its toes, to blast around this autocross event. This event is part of the December Bondurant Challenge.
· Pilgrimage to Sonoma -- Try and beat PWC and GM Factory driver Andy Pilgrim’s best time at Infineon in the Cadillac CTS-V. Build and tune your best CTS-V to match the specs of the real life race car that took the top two podium spots in the Pirelli World Challenge in 2012. Pilgrim’s best lap was 1:35.660 in traffic, can you match him? Check out the Heavy Metal Affliction Racer Profile on December 6 to learn more about this racing icon and the championship winning Cadillac CTS-V.
Forza Horizon pho mission second place from SeanMac79
November Bondurant Challenge
The latest update for the November Bondurant Challenge has been posted, and you can see it here. On Monday’s edition of Rear View Mirror, we’ll put up the final posting for this month’s challenge series, including the winners of the November series.
Gadget Show Live
This week, our man in the UK Ian Webster attended the Gadget Show Live in London, showing off Forza Horizon to thousands of eager racing fans. Look for a full report on this event from Ian next week.
Game With Dev Thursday Dec. 6
Ready to hit the roads of Horizon with us? Our next Game With Dev is coming on Thursday, Dec. 6, one of the last events of 2012 (we’ll have one more before year’s end to celebrate the upcoming release of the Forza Horizon Rally Expansion Pack). Join us next week from 10 A.M. to Noon PDT as we hit the roads of Colorado together – and bring your favorite December IGN Pack cars too—for two hours of motorized mayhem, full-tilt action, automotive awesomeness, crazy car… okay, I’ll stop. You get it. Be there.
Forza Horizon photo mission third place from LumpiestFish115
From a Concerned Horizon Citizen
Jalopnik posted an awesome story this week, one that I think every Forza Horizon player will get a kick out of. Without spoiling it too much, feast your eyes on An Open Letter to the Mayor of Horizon, Colorado From a Concerned Citizen.
Name the Future
Want to have your say in the future of sports car racing in America? Thanks to the recently merged American Le Mans Series and GRAND-AM Road Racing series, you’ve got that chance right now. The merged series, which will formally kick off racing as a single entity in 2014, are asking for fan input in naming the new series. To get involved, head over to www.namethefuture.com and submit your suggested name by Dec. 31 for a chance to win a VIP trip for you and a guest to attend either the 51st Rolex 24 At Daytona or the 61st Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida.
If you enter, we’d love to hear your suggestions for what this new sports car series should be called. Let us know in the Week in Review thread and we’ll award our favorite suggestions with a random unicorn car!
Finally I leave you with this and the following thought: If you and Dikembe Mutombo can’t work together to save the world, then what hope do we have?
See you next week!